Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lanzarote (Read 6932 times)
Dude

RockHoundLounger

Re: Lanzarote
Reply #15 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott and Rebecca, and yes it defo has a Mars feel to it out there! Fantastic to experience.

And Joe your too kind! Your holiday report was my inspiration! But thank you.

You spotted the goat!! I thought people was joking when they said there was goats, it wasn’t even on some of the smoother land! They really are roughing it out there and yes... what on earth are they eating?!

Walking on the lava fields must have been awesome, we was on a coach and then had stop of points we could look around and take photos, they do walking tours but you wouldn’t see nearly as much as we did. I wouldn’t fancy it in that heat but if I went and there was a place on a cooler day I would love to explore on foot.

These questions scare me already lol Smiley

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #16 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
What incredible different eco-systems they have on those few islands!
The western tip of Europe, off the coast of Africa. Very interesting.

Of course you chose the island only a RockHound could love. Nothing but rock as far as you can see to the sea! Smiley But I understand you were on a Quest for Olivine! And you did succeed!
The largest of your tumbled stone finds, a little darker green, looks like a very nice piece, not to mention the great olivine filled vugs in the bubble rock!

The main question was the age of the flows and rocks you were walking on? From what I read the last eruptions on Lanzarote were within "recorded history". So that narrows it down. Wink

Great pictures and report, Dude. Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Within recorded history  Grin Grin Grin well I am sure the guide said it was 17 something, so it was a LONG time ago but they monitor it daily as it’s still active. They did a few demonstrations to show us how hot it was just under the surface, they got a shovel and got some gravel, didn’t dig down far, it was literally just under the surface gravel but it was too hot to hold in your hand, it was like holding a hot potato! You had to juggle it between hands. And another bit they had a small pit and held put with a rake, held some straw to the side,which of course went up in flames! Only took a few seconds! Apparently due to the heat generated they was going to put a power plant there or something, but thankfully they decided to use it for tourism instead.

I really was expecting to see some rock enthusiasts around but I didn’t meet any, it was mostly sun seekers! But everybody on the tour was just in awe- it’s impossible to see all that and not be.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint