Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Petrified wood anomaly? (Read 839 times)
daves64

Rockaholic

Petrified wood anomaly?
Sep 5th, 2021 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Or is this common?
First, a bit of backstory on how I got the pet wood this is from.
A neighbor of mine lives/lived down at the end of the alley. Rockhound & rock cutter. I've gotten to know him a bit & he's given me a few small pieces here & there. He recently & suddenly moved out of the house & a couple weeks later a contractor was tearing it down. They are currently building a new house on the spot. My neighbor was going to try to catch me before they moved out to tell me to grab whatever rocks I wanted from the yard (I ran into him yesterday at the local parade), but wasn't able to with me working nights. Turns out he had a largish pile of rocks in front of his shop that basically got bulldozed & probably buried. He told me if I saw any of them, to go for it & take them home. I found one... a chunk of petrified wood that may be partly agatized and/or opalized, not sure yet. I'll get pics of it later. Turns out it weighs 31 pounds.  Shocked It mostly survived a fight with a backhoe, taking a bit of damage, but is mostly intact. Small pieces came off while cleaning it up & I saved some of them. One is sort of giving me fits. First pic is of another piece that came off close to the one in question, end shot showing it to be pet wood. Pic 2 is with the Dino-lite leds on, pic's 3 & 4 is with them off, but using a small led flashlight. Pic 4 is with the light at a slightly below angle. All 3 are the same magnification of 50 x & in same position. Pic 5 is of another section to the left of the others. Not sure what to make of these. They sort of look like worms.  Huh

1_011.jpg ( 260 KB | 15 Downloads )
1_011.jpg
2_007.jpg ( 397 KB | 17 Downloads )
2_007.jpg
3_008.jpg ( 462 KB | 16 Downloads )
3_008.jpg
4_013.jpg ( 459 KB | 20 Downloads )
4_013.jpg
5_013.jpg ( 529 KB | 18 Downloads )
5_013.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Petrified wood anomaly?
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Happy Labor Day to you, Dave!
Nice find, I hope you find more! Wink
Good pictures, thank you.
The first thing that comes to mind is tubes of Aragonite like in the Turkish Stick Agate and some others. Huh

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Happy Labor Day to you as well!
Could be prehistoric gummy worms maybe.. Thing is, these are on some of the surfaces. It's going to take some doing to get pics of the entire chunk. I just passed the middle of 9 straight nights at work, 4 more to go, then 2 off, so I'll try to get pics of it in the daylight this weekend. I'm just glad I didn't drop it on my foot.  Grin

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2021 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I think what these are is simply an odd formation of basically pure chalcedony. Some are solid, some hollow & some either filled by or formed around another substance.  Got this little piece cleaned up better & took some pics at 150x. #6 is in the same location of pics 2,3 & 4. 7 is a solitary "tube". 8 & 9 show both hollow & filled. I also get a faint green glow from the same areas with shortwave uv. The 31 pound chunk also shows the green in areas as well.

6_008.jpg ( 270 KB | 19 Downloads )
6_008.jpg
7_011.jpg ( 292 KB | 16 Downloads )
7_011.jpg
8_008.jpg ( 357 KB | 18 Downloads )
8_008.jpg
9_005.jpg ( 278 KB | 20 Downloads )
9_005.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Well, yes, it has probably all been replaced by silica/chalcedony at this point. The bright green UV reaction is common for chalcedony.
As Phil Collins would say, Sue-Sue- Psuedomorphs!

But your 'worms' could have formed as Aragonite, Calcite, or other minerals before being preserved in Silica.
Here's a good site for research and general perusal. You'll like the pictures, too!
http://agateswithinclusions.com/

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Very nice pictures. It was nice seeing it all cleaned up and zoomed in on.  That's really neat stuff.  It looks almost like icicles.  I haven't a clue what the original crystal was that the calcedony replaced or grew over.  I appreciate you sharing this.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint