Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Moby Chert GONE! (Read 422 times)
rob23

RockHoundLounger

Moby Chert GONE!
Oct 17th, 2023 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Now that it's not 110 degrees I drove Pequod to Girard, found my landmarks and Moby was nowhere to be found. I dug down about four feet and nothing. I'm sure I was in the right place as the soil was all mixed up compared to digging a foot or so to the left and right.

However, a couple of months ago I dug up some
football size hunks of chert adjacent to Moby. This time it was small shards of rock, nothing any bigger than a fist. I am perplexed, what happened to it?

I did get some other material that needs to be cleaned up, which I'm fixin' to do.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Moby Chert GONE!
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Yep, that's what happens when you leave your rocks on or close to the surface of the ground. Someone else sees them, and they're gone! Angry

IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2023 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Whomever must have had a crew or something. Moby was part of the bedrock and not too easy to just tote out. Oh well. Thar be others thar. Yar.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Very strange. Was this in an area easily accessed by car and people where they could have done that? You might consider going back and really making sure it wasn't buried somewhere else -- although if you're absolutely sure of where it was than I suppose people could have taken it. I wonder if other people were watching you digging at some point and came back after you left to clean up.  Shocked

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

rob23

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
This area is a dirt road with two access points. Moby was on the side of the dirt road, and people did drive by.  I did not GPS mark the location. I used a beer can someone had tossed as a marker. It was gone too, so I did a bunch of approximations.... Moby is probably still there and I just lost the location. I also wonder if more dirt may been put down along that stretch of road.

IP Logged

CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2023 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
If it were in a stream I could understand. I knew of a massive chunk of biotite mica that would appear or disappear with each torrential storm.
But today people will rape a mineral site, destroy any remaining materials,  with the idea it will  make their take more valuable
ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU NEED. LEAVE SOME FOR OTHERS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint