Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Clovis Point (Read 156 times)
RickB

Clovis Point
Dec 28th, 2023 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Here are some photos I took Dec. 2018 from our camping trip to Edisto Island SC. I met and talked to a friend from Boone, NC. These three photos are
of a Clovis point she had just found that had washed out on the beach. Can't tell you what a thrill it was to hold a recently found 10 to 12 thousand year
old fluted point in my hand and examine it. I believe it was made from coastal plain chert from the Savannah River area. It is translucent around the edges
and is rough looking, raw and un-heat treated rock. Color is patina and staining from the black coastal mud. It has been added to the registry here in SC.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Clovis Point
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2023 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Well dang, Rick, that's just plain awesome! Find of a Lifetime!
I don't know what I would do if I found one like that? Probably sit down before feinting!
Have you ever found a Clovis? I have one but it's not as nice as that one.
If that's Savannah River chert it sure has been stained, like you say, because I sure wouldn't be able to guess from the picture.
And we've got to know, was that the 'first arrowhead' that girl has ever found? Smiley

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2023 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
JoeM wrote on Dec 28th, 2023 at 2:24pm:
Well dang, Rick, that's just plain awesome! Find of a Lifetime!
I don't know what I would do if I found one like that? Probably sit down before feinting!
Have you ever found a Clovis? I have one but it's not as nice as that one.
If that's Savannah River chert it sure has been stained, like you say, because I sure wouldn't be able to guess from the picture.
And we've got to know, was that the 'first arrowhead' that girl has ever found? Smiley

Joe, I believe it was the first point she had ever found. She looks for fossils, shells and sea glass. She showed it around to a few
campers there on the beach and someone told her what it was while offering her a good bit of cash for it. Glad she kept it. A
local who lives next to the Topper Site and I both checked it out at the same time. When we held it up to the sunlight the edges
were definitely translucent. I commented to him (knappers perspective) that the rock was very tough looking where the flutes
detached, one even stopping and veering off to the right after hitting a tougher section. Allendale and Jasper counties are
very close by and this looks to be from that area as the immediate coast at Edisto is rock poor. I've never found one myself
but I have a  friend who just got an unfluted one that he found ID'd by Dr. Goodyear at the Camden SC artifact show
this past spring.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2023 at 8:09am by RickB »  

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2023 at 8:14am
Print Post  
A couple artifacts and fossils in my collection.
Glyptodon scutes found at Edisto Island a couple years ago along with a native American bone pin and bone awl that were
also found while fossil hunting. Old drawing to show size of a glyptodon. Lots of calcium from shells in the ground here on
the coast help preserve the bone pins from acidic soil. All found in the same area as the Clovis point was.

Never could figure out why a piece of antler I found at Edisto Beach would have a hole in it until I checked out the site below. Turns out that
this is an atlatl weight.

Bone Tools  -  http://peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/14-bone-tools/134-bone-tools

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2023 at 8:53pm by RickB »  

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Wow, some artifact hunters go their entire life without finding a whole clovis like that and she did on her first artifact find!! Amazing.  Cheesy

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint