Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WHAT TYPE ROCK ? (Read 179 times)
Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

WHAT TYPE ROCK ?
Feb 19th, 2024 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I rarely come across this rock here at Treasure Valley and it has a green smooth finish with a unique design.  Any thoughts ?

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Re: WHAT TYPE ROCK ?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Another Picture

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Not a lot to go on here, Buckshot, and it being 'smoothed' doesn't help, but I'll venture a guess.
Igneous rock. Dark color means 'mafic'. Even though it's not too coarse grained, you can see the grains with your eye, 'Phaneritic'. And  the green color is from a 'Pyroxene', probably 'Augite'. And all that adds up to "Gabbro".
It does look like it could be Basalt, and most Gabbro have more obvious Feldspar, or light to white areas, but I'm sticking with Gabbro.
Read up on it and see what you think. Wink

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
OK thanks Joe, this particular rock was found below an ultramafic out cropping but is entirely different looking from the ultramafic out cropping rocks.  I'll try to attach a report on the age of some of the ultramafic out croppings here on the farm.  I'll look at some of the samples of rocks you referenced to see if They're similar.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
That is cool, Buchshot. It's not surprising that even tho the report is from as recently as 2014 I still couldn't find it online, but there may be a way yet. It looks like the author, Kenneth, may still be on staff in Arizona and the NC State Geo office may be able to help. We'll see.
The date of the ultramafic rock is right on with the formation of the mountains. The gabbro is from oceanic crust so Africa just pushed everything up there and deposited it for you at the same time making those mountains.
  Ultramafic rocks are very interesting and I would love to look at that report sometime. Be nice to finally get up there this year and look around. Wink

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I actually have the report, didn't understand what it was saying but it has each of the 70 individual samples on it and the age of each sample. I thought it interesting that NC says oldest rock is just under 2 billion years old and some on the report was over 2 billion years. Kenneth is my wife's cousin so this report may not been on their official reports. I think I may have your contact information, if so I'll get the report to yiou.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
2 billion is old!  Shocked
I knew some of that rock up there was over one billion, but didn't know some of it was 2 billion or older.
I would love to read the report, Buckshot, but don't go to too much trouble. I'd hate for you to have to copy the whole thing. It would be nice to know if it's published on line anywhere that I could get to.
I'm going to be talking with some local geologists next Wednesday and was going to ask them if they could find a link, or copy, for me?
I'll send you a PM. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint