Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Epidosite morphing into??? (Read 117 times)
Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Epidosite morphing into???
Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
When it comes to minerals, this morphing stuff is well above what my poor brain can comprehend. When I first looked at this stone I just figured it was a common case of layering but the scientist that have looked at it says it appears to have morphed from the green to the brown mineral. They also say that this stone should be depleted of metals but there is metal in it and it reacts to a magnet. An xrd analysis of the green area determined that the stone is 80% epidote and 20% quartz.

1_071.JPG ( 1905 KB | 1 Download )
1_071.JPG
2_069.JPG ( 1891 KB | 2 Downloads )
2_069.JPG
3_066.JPG ( 1921 KB | 1 Download )
3_066.JPG
4_055.JPG ( 1943 KB | 1 Download )
4_055.JPG
5_049.JPG ( 1949 KB | 2 Downloads )
5_049.JPG
6_041.JPG ( 1982 KB | 2 Downloads )
6_041.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Epidosite morphing into???
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2024 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Well, Jay, I understand your frustrations. Rocks are not simple. That is why most folks are content to just call them rocks. Smiley

Rocks are a combination, or mix, of minerals. This specimen would be called a rock because of the metal content. I don't know why your scientist friends would think the metal content is unusual? It is very common to find rocks like this with bits, or significant amounts, of metal. You may want to find a geologist to talk with also. The cubic-like shape of the 'pockets' of the dark metal in this specimen remind me of weathered Iron Pyrite but could easily be Magnetite as well. And, of course, it easily could be something else altogether?

Iron is found almost everywhere on Earth, along with other elemental metals like Manganese and Magnesium, for examples. Iron breaksdown, decomposes, morphs, or oxidizes into the mineral Magnetite, for one, and the other metallic elements contribute in the formation of many other wonderful minerals. And there are many, many different stages to this process. We amateurs have the luxury of saying things like, "Well, it's almost this, and It's almost that." But when it comes down to it, it's a rock.
All you can do is keep studying, reading, and looking at a lot of rocks. The first time you read something is just an introduction. It takes time, study of many different specimens, and several rereads for it to sink in. Which is why I like to say about this hobby; We are always learning.
You may want to start by rereading the Geology.com link for Epidote I posted in your other "More Colorful Granite" thread. Something might jump out at you that didn't the last time you read it?

IP Logged

Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I'm having a blast learning a lot of things that I would have never given a thought before finding this stuff. I was shocked to read that granite only forms in the present of water.
I thought this green stuff was jade when I first found it but analysis showed that it was epidote. There's a lot of different minerals found in that one area. Here's another chunk of that epidote. Is epidote a good mineral for polishing and carving?

8_016.JPG ( 1867 KB | 1 Download )
8_016.JPG
9_014.JPG ( 1871 KB | 1 Download )
9_014.JPG
10_011.JPG ( 1937 KB | 1 Download )
10_011.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2024 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Good enough, Glad to hear it, Jay!
Yeah, that's a lot of epidote. Epidote will make good tumble polished green stones, if it's solid enough to hold together. I don't see it made into cabochons much unless there is quartz or some other mineral in it that makes it a little more interesting. Epidote crystals can make very nice specimens. Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Jay2010 wrote on Mar 30th, 2024 at 4:47pm:
I'm having a blast learning a lot of things that I would have never given a thought before finding this stuff. I was shocked to read that granite only forms in the present of water.
I thought this green stuff was jade when I first found it but analysis showed that it was epidote. There's a lot of different minerals found in that one area. Here's another chunk of that epidote. Is epidote a good mineral for polishing and carving?

Yes epidotized rock can be carved or polished. Just look up unakite. But ultimately what determines how well a rock will stand up to carving or polishing is its quality. If the rock is too weathered or has too many cracks or voids in it, it won't polish or even stay together while trying to work with it. After so many years of working with rock I've realized that the only way to really know is to just try it. I've been surprised by the amount of times I though something would turn out great that ended up being garbage after trying to polish them and vice versa.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the good advice guys. I've played around with cutting and polishing a few of these stones so that I could see what they looked like inside and what I found was that most of the rocks from that area have all sorts of fractures and cracks that run throughout them. So now I know that it would be a waste of time trying to cut and polish these stones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint