Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Montgomery County (Read 88212 times)
JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Montgomery County
Reply #45 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I think Faden crystals are often tabby's.....but I'm going to let
Scott and others explain it. Wink
At the very least we'll all have to take a closer look at it.
I wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't find a Faden or two more
in our local NC collections,
but what a Great Eye and Hats Off to Fire for finding it!
I gotta say, Page 3 is one pretty fantastic page of personal finds
you've put together here, Fire. The whole page is yours! Cool
Thanks for all the great pics and hope they keep coming.
You know how to find those crystals! Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #46 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe.  Smiley
I just started digging crystals earlier this year so I'm still learning.
I've always found them looking for arrowheads or while gold prospecting, but actually digging for them is a recent thing.  I'm pretty happy with what I've been finding though.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

MONTGOMERY COUNTY QUARTZ MINES
Reply #47 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
QUARTZ MINES OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA - PART ONE         (ongoing project)

As I get older I feel compelled to share more of the information I have gleaned over the years about North Carolina mineral localities with future generations of collectors and scientists.
With that in mind, I am compiling an annotated listing of the quartz mines that I am familiar with in Montgomery County, which has an almost exclusive claim to possessing these quartz mines.  Only a handful are known in other NC counties, mainly Randolph and Stanly.  First I must define what I mean by the term “quartz mine”.  These are sites that were mined for commercial purposes for the extraction of large quantities of milky quartz for use in the construction industry.  As far as I have been able to determine, without exception, these were all mined in the 1960’s.
This does not include shallow diggings, prospects, road cuts, gold mines, or quartz crystal vein diggings.  (One site, the Morris Mountain Mine, may have only been a gold mine, though large quantities of quartz were removed, I have not been able to determine if it was mined for quartz and gold, or only gold).  All of these sites involved drilling, blasting, and heavy equipment.  Most of them today are highly modified from their original morphology, having been partially filled by both man and erosional forces, and often overgrown with large trees.  The quartz was crushed into pea gravel size and incorporated into concrete construction panels used on large buildings.  Most of you have probably seen these panels on buildings, with a surface of quartz fragments embedded in concrete.  This “fad’ seems to have faded out in the 1970’s.  Perhaps people agreed with my assessment that they are ugly!  Fortunately for quartz crystal collectors, these mines penetrated many of the largest quartz outcrops in the county, and they still continue to provide us with numerous specimens.  I am not aware of any published accounts of crystals found during this time by the miners, but I (and others) have heard anecdotal accounts that are astounding.  My knowledge of these sites has been greatly augmented by other collectors sharing information with me, in particular Mike McDuffie, Jim Ray, Archie Craven, Rob Whaley, Wayne Roberson, and most recently, Kayla Johanson.  I am only including general locations for now in this report, though I would like to develop a complete listing of GPS coordinates to share, with the caveat that all of these are either on private property or National Forest land. Permission should always be secured before visiting these sites, or in the case of Federal land, all rules and regulations regarding collecting should be observed.  I hope to continually upgrade and expand the information contained in this listing, as I learn more and as I have the time to expand the content.  I welcome any and all additional information that can be incorporated into this report by the readers.  This listing will start off  sketchy, but over time will hopefully evolve into a comprehensive report on all aspects of these mines, including history, morphology, geology, and mineralogy.  Over time hopefully the report can be supplemented with photographs, published references, and anecdotes.  A few of these sites are at present unnamed, but efforts are underway to determine appropriate names for all of them, and to explain the origin of these names.  No doubt there are several quartz mines out there that I have not located or know nothing about, so this cannot be considered a complete listing, though I am confident that all the major mines are included. 

Important Note:  The following descriptions are primarily based on my own recollections, so the accuracy of many of my observations is bound to be suspect.  For instance, I may remember a pit being 40 x 50 feet, but you might go out there and measure the pit and find that it is 75 x 60 feet.  I can only provide the information I have in my memory and my notes and conversations with others.  This is where readers can hopefully refine my descriptions to make them more accurate over time, so if I remember something wrong, please correct me.  It is very difficult to be totally objective in a report of this kind, so forgive me if I make mistakes or omissions.

1)  ELDORADO QUARTZ MINE

Located on a prominant hilltop about a mile northeast of Eldorado in the northern part of the county, this is one of the largest of the quartz mines in the county.  In addition to the mine, an area adjacent to the mine on south side was the site of large scale crushing operation to process the quartz from the mine, but served other nearby mines as well, with the material being trucked in from the other mines.  All that remains today are the concrete slabs and overgrown roads where the crushing occurred.  The mine itself is a large open cut pit, with very steep sides, some nearly vertical, and presently with pine trees to 10 inches in diameter.  A great deal of clay has washed down into the bottom of the pit over the years from the saprolitic mudstone intermixed with the quartz, leaving a very flat bottom overgrown in pines.  While a good number of specimens have been collected here, the quality of most specimens are inferior to the better mines in the county.  Smaller crystals can be quite clear, but larger ones tend to be more milky and often fractured, though of good form.  Mike Weeks dug a milky crystal measuring about 12 inches from here about 9 years ago, most are much smaller.  The collecting used to be very good, but over the years has declined, and few good pieces are found these days.  The south side of the pit is frankly dangerous, with very steep slopes and small cliffs, and lots of loose rock, so all visitors should be extremely cautious, even hardhats are advised.  A saprolite exposure on the east end of the quarry produced the largest limonite pseudomorphs after pyrite ever found in North Carolina.  A four inch cube was collected by Wayne Roberson in the 1980’s, and I have collected cubes to 3 inches, though most were much smaller, down to 1/4 inch.  The cubes are very sharp with perfect right angles, but are often intergrown with tiny quartz veins and often having a coating of micro drusy quartz, giving a sparkling appearance.  These specimens were never common and digging them out required major effort.  Only a few made good display specimens, but a handful of exceptional pieces were found.   Private property, but traditionally open to collecting.  Very recently, the area around the pit has been logged, and a large downed tree blocks the 4 wheel drive road up to the pit, so hiking up is now required.

2)   FROSTY MINE

This is a small but fascinating mine located about 1/4 mile south of the Eldorado Quartz Mine, at the southeast end of a low ridge topped with a large quartz outcrop.  Only the south end of the outcrop was mined, in a pit measuring approx. 75 x 75 feet and 20 to 25 feet deep with mostly sloping sides.  A hand dug hole on the southwest side of the pit produced most of the specimens dug since the mining days, but rumors of amazing crystals found by the miners persist.  Unfortunately, a large tract adjacent to the mine was recently logged, and while bulldozing a logging road adjacent to the mine, the pit was filled in by the dozer, so digging there now is impossible.  The specimens from this mine are so distinct that they are easily recognizable from the other county mines, with a “frosty” appearance to many of the crystals, hence the mine’s name.  This frostiness is the result of microscopic etching and sometimes rehealing.  Intermixed with the crystals in the very red clay are numerous quartz fragments, often quite clear, but virtually all with rehealed surfaces.  Even milky fragments have a fine rehealed texture.  The crystals are up to 6 inches in length, but average about 2 inches, sometimes with a slight tapering toward the termination.  Unfrosted crystals are not common, but the frostiness can be very attractive.  Good clusters are rare, the best specimens are individual crystals, but intergrown masses of rehealed crystals can reach a foot and a half across, but do not make quality specimens.  In addition to the distinctive frostiness, about half the crystals have light green chlorite inclusions, many very heavily included, to the point that some are completely opaque.  Some are what I call “ bullets”, as they are so infused with chlorite that the crystal growth was interrupted, producing opaque crystals with rounded edges and terminations, resembling bullets.  Rob Whaley was one of the first collectors to dig in this mine and I originally learned of the mine from him.  Only a handful of collectors dug there before it was closed and not that many good specimens are extant, so they should be treasured. 

3)   MORRIS MOUNTAIN QUARTZ MINE

After more research I have determined that there are two mines on Morris Mountain, the Morris Mountain Mine, a gold mine described in P. Albert Carpenter’s Book “Metallic Mineral Deposits of the Carolina Slate Belt, North Carolina”  N.C. Geological Survey Bulletin 84. (1976) and a quartz mine that I am naming the Morris Mountain Quartz Mine to differentiate the two.  The Carpenter book by the way is an important and valuable reference for collectors of NC minerals.  The quartz mine is located on the NW side of Morris Mountain just above a saddle between Morris Mountain and a smaller ridge to the west, about 1 mile NW of Eldorado and about a mile SW of the Coggins Gold Mine.   The excavation is approx. 75 x 40 feet and maybe 20 feet deep, though slumping and erosion have obviously filled in the pit considerably since the mining days.  The south end of the cut is open, so you can walk in.  Dump piles are located along the south edge.   A neat old antique iron mining bucket is partially buried in the dumps, weighing many hundreds of pounds, but fit for a museum.  Quartz crystals are generally small, but fairly clear, and usually growing on milky matrix, though some individual crystals can be found.  I have only visited the mine twice, and have done little digging there.  Perhaps more interesting is an outcrop area, not mined, that lies a couple hundred yards north of the mine.  Some of the boulders at this outcrop may have been dumped there from the mine, but it is difficult to be sure.  Small cavities are numerous here and are often lined with small crystals.  I believe the entire area is worthy of further investigation and may produce some nice specimens.  Private property.

4)  CAGLE QUARTZ MINE

This is one of several quartz mines operated by the Cagle Brothers Company, the same outfit that mined the Lost Quartz Mine (aka Tower Road mIne) and the Kidd’s Mill Mine near Grays Chapel in Randolph County.  This very obscure locality was shown to me many years ago by Mike McDuffie, and the two of us, with the possible exception of Rob Whaley, are probably the only “modern” collectors to have ever visited the site.  This is one of those that you would need a guide who has been there before to help you find it.  It is located approx. 8 miles north of Troy off of State Hwy. 134, and about 3 miles south of the Randolph County line.  It lies approx. 2 miles west of the highway, reached by a series of small rutted dirt roads.  A small residence sits adjacent to the mine, and permission must be obtained from the gentleman who lives there before visiting.  I believe he said that he does not own the mine proper, but caretakes the area.  This was one of the largest quartz mines in the county, but it is difficult to determine the size of the pit, as it is floored with deep water.  Above the water, the pit measures approx 75 feet by 300 feet and has a dogleg shape.  The dumps are considerably overgrown with large trees and it is difficult to find areas worthy of digging, though stray specimens might be found anywhere on the property.  Obviously a huge amount of material was removed and processed from this mine.  The old road that leads down to the mine provides some of the best collecting, where erosion ditches have exposed material.  Crystals are generally small, though some were found up to 3 inches and with decent clarity.  No doubt many fine specimens were crushed during the mining operations, a possibility that is very likely at all the county quartz mines.  My last visit was about 6 years ago, so current conditions are not known.

5)  SUBSTATION QUARTZ MINE

This quartz mine is located about 5 miles north of Troy just off State Hwy. 134 and about 1/4 mile south of the "electrical substation” near the east end of Substation Road.  When I first visited this mine about 25 years ago, it was quite accessible, but some 15 years ago the tract was logged, and the subsequent regrowth rendered the area nearly impenetrable, with huge briar thickets, poison ivy, etc.  Now the pines are getting large enough to shade out a lot of this undergrowth, so conditions are improving, but still not much fun to negotiate.  This was never one of the better sites for crystals, probably because the 2 or 3 “pits” there were fairly small and shallow and the dumps are small.  It appears that many of the diggings were partially refilled during the logging operations.  Crystals from here a small, usually 1 inch or less, and clear.  Drusy matrix pieces are the most common, but do not rise to the level of good specimens.  I originally found this site by my own explorations, but shortly thereafter Mike McDuffie told me he had collected there a few times.  The most interesting aspect of this mine are the small hematite (or ilmenite) “roses” that were found on a few specimens by Mike.  I believe they never reached more than 1/2 inch across, but were well formed and lustrous.  Hopefully Mike will supplement this information for us.  The only other mine in the county to produce similar roses was the Thickety Creek Quartz Mine in the southern part of the county.   Small pseudomorphs of limonite after pyrite can be found on the dirt road south of the mine.  The mine area is reached by a gated and posted dirt road, leased by a hunting club, so visitation is not recommended unless you can obtain permission.  (It seems like the entire county is now leased by hunting clubs!)

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:57pm by »  

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #48 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Excellent, Laurie.

This is a great project chock full of history and information.

Do I like it?  Of Quartz I do!

Dennis

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
It seems that there is a limit to how much I can post on one thread entry, so I am dividing my quartz report into parts, the above being part one.  Correct me if I am wrong Scott.  When I tried to paste my last description, it would only take half of it, I tried several times.  No big deal though.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
QUARTZ MINES OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY - PART 2

6)  CHECKING STATION QUARTZ MINE

I found this mine by my own explorations and I am not aware of any other collector ever visiting the site.  It is a relatively small mine located 2 miles north of Uwharrie, on the west side of State Hwy. 109, on the crest of a narrow ridge lying midway between the Uwharrie River and the Checking Station Road, now called Reservation Road, approx. 800 feet west of the Hwy. 109 bridge over the Uwharrie River.  It is easily reached by parking at the small campground located on Reservation Road at the intersection with Moccasin Creek Road, then hiking up the ridge directly to the east to the crest, where it should be very obvious.  The mine consists of a vertical walled pit approx. 30 feet wide, 50 feet long, and 20 feet deep.  Very little dump material is present, and no crystals were found, mainly due to the fact that the only exposures of quartz are vertical pit walls.  The floor of the pit is all deep soil, and large trees have overtaken the site.  No digging was done, and I would not recommend this as having great potential, but of course you never know.

7)  OUTPOST QUARTZ MINE

This is a tentative name for this mine until I can determine a more appropriate name, I do not know who mined it or any other historical information about it, so I am naming it for now for the nearest recognizable landmark, the well known Outpost store, located a half mile from the mine.  It is located about 2 miles north of Uwharrie, on the east side of State Hwy. 109, on the north side of a forest service road that runs east from the highway just across the road from the beginning of Reservation Road.  It is approx. 1/2 mile east of the highway.  This was a medium sized mine about 200 feet long and 50 feet wide, that is now heavily overgrown in trees and largely filled with inwashed clay.  I was fortunate enough to visit this mine some 30 years ago when the trees were saplings and there was plenty of bedrock exposures along the pit walls.  Little of this bedrock is visible today, due to the inwashed clay and slumping.  Based on the collecting I did way back then, I believe there are good crystals in this mine, but it would be very difficult to know just where to dig now, due to the overburden.  This is on Forest Service property, so it is OK to dig there with small hand tools, no shovels or picks or large equipment.  On the right (south) side of the small Forest Service dirt road leading to and beyond the mine, is a medium size area of quartz outcrops that may have some potential for crystals.  The outcrop area is about 1 to 2 hundred feet from the road, on a gentle hillside, about 2/3 of the distance from the highway to the mine.

8)  NORTH UWHARRIE QUARTZ MINE

This is a very small mine located about 1/4 mile due west of “downtown” Uwharrie (Intersection of Hwy. 109 and River Road) on the north side of small private dirt road leading west to a couple of residences.  The pit is directly adjacent to the road and can’t be missed.  It is approx. 75 x 40 feet and 20 feet deep.  A shallow pool sits in the bottom breeding mosquitos.  Some garbage has recently been dumped in the pit.  No crystals were found and collecting potential is very small.  The outcrop continues from the pit and across the road to the south for a short distance.  A huge outcrop area lies north of the pit about 1/3 of a mile away, in a wooded area just SW of a pond.  It is on private property and looks to have considerable potential for crystals.

9)  SOUTH UWHARRIE QUARTZ MINE

This fairly small, shallow quartz mine is located about 400 feet SW of the North Uwharrie Quartz Mine, in a recently logged area on the crest of a small rise.  It measures approx. 150 feet long and 40 feet wide.  The current depth is only 15 feet or so, but was no doubt deeper before inwashed clay filled it in.  A few exposures of quartz bedrock are found on the sides, some with small cavities lined with small crystals, but there are no obvious places to dig, and the current potential is slim for finding good specimens.  Private property.

10)  THICKETY CREEK QUARTZ MINE

This is another very obscure mine only visited by a couple of collectors.  I learned of the mine in the 1980’s from Jim Ray of Troy.  It is located just within the Uwharrie National Forest about 9 miles south of Troy, approx. 1 mile NNW of the point where Thickety Creek Road crosses the bridge over Thickety Creek.  The steep road leading up to the mine starts out on private property and eventually crosses onto Forest Service land.  The road forks a couple times, and the last cutoff leading to the mine is quite overgrown, so finding the mine without a guide would be difficult.  The mine itself is pretty big with two large branches forming an irregular, roughly horseshoe shaped pit, with a ridge in the middle separating the two branches.  The depth varies from 15 to 30 feet, and the overall length around the outside of the perimeter is probably 500 feet or more.  Large pines have grown up all over the mine, but there are many bedrock exposures, some fairly large dump areas, and plenty of places to dig.  The prismatic crystals are relatively small, averaging maybe an inch and a half, but of good clarity.  One of the hallmarks of this mine are the flat “blades” found there.  These are common at almost all quartz sites, where there is limited room for crystal growth and only flat blades can crystallize between narrow bedrock seams. Most often these tend to have one face with a very smooth curved side and the other side with numerous small stepped faces.  Anyone who has dug much quartz will immediately recognize these pieces, they are almost ubiquitous in quartz crystal veins.  Almost all are true floaters and tend to make a distinctive sound when tapped, like tapping the side of a wine glass.  (They'd make an amazing wind chime!).  The neat thing about this site however is the large size of some of these blades, up to 12 inches in length and 4 inches in width!  I’ve never seen such large blades from North Carolina.  They are not particularly valuable, but are very, very cool.  They are dug out of narrow seams between bedrock masses.  Really good prismatic crystals are uncommon, but are occasionally found.  But the real jewels of this mine are the hematite (or ilmenite) “roses” that are found along one prominent bedrock wall on the north side of the south branch of the pit.  The obvious specimens on this wall have been collected, but remnants remain, and specimens can be found by digging into the talus at the base of the wall.  The largest of these roses that I have collected were about 3/4 inch across.  Of course these cannot compare to the Swiss specimens, not even close, but they are probably the finest ever found in North Carolina.  But even at this mine they are rare and you would be very lucky to find one.  (The presence of these hematite roses and the occurrence of anatase at nearby localities are further evidence of the "alpine fissure" morphology of the hydrothermal injection quartz veins of the Uwharrie Mountains.)  Plan on spending the day there, half to find the mine and half to collect!  Though the mine is on Forest Service property, it is very advisable, if not imperative, that you stop at the house across the road from the road leading up to the mine, to let them know what you're up to.  You have to drive through their property to get there.  They are very nice folks, but I haven't been there in about 8 years so the situation may have changed.

11)   PRETTY GIRL MINE

This mine is located somewhere in the county, but right now that’s all I will say.  We are currently collecting there and are not ready to share it with others.  But I will tell the story of the mine’s name, which you have no doubt already wondered about.  (In the future I will be able to provide more details about the mine itself).  Last Fall I was digging somewhere in the Uwharries and I had been camped for 4 days.  I was a horrible mess, I was covered in dirt from head to toe, my hair looked like a cross between Medusa and a Rastafarian, my clothes were torn and ragged, I made Charles Manson look good.  Up walks this cute young lady (Kayla - aka Fire on the Mountain) with her little dog (which bites by the way) and she was also looking for crystals.  She had found the place on her own by exploring, no one had told her about it.  I immediately tried to reassure her that I was not a madman or serial killer or anything and after awhile we were talking rocks.  She asked if I knew of this other place to find quartz crystals and from her description it was obvious that I did not.  So she told me where it was and left, after I gave her my website address and invited her to come to my shop sometime.  As soon as she left I ran back to the campsite, found pen and paper, and wrote down ever detail of the directions while they were fresh in my mind.  I never expected to see her again.  Next weekend I checked it out and true to her word, the mine was exactly where she described.  Her directions were impeccable.  I was impressed, hardly anyone gives good directions to anywhere!  I dug out a flat of interesting crystals and vowed to return.  When I got the stuff cleaned up and ready to go to the shop, I had to decide on a name for the locality to put on the flat.  I couldn’t think of anything appropriate, so I tentatively named it something that would be easy to remember and associate with the locality.  Pretty Girl Mine.  Seemed reasonable at the time.  Then she came down to the shop soon thereafter and we became friends, digging a couple times together.  But in the meantime I had sold two or three crystals from the mine under the name Pretty Girl Mine, and thus I was compelled to keep that name, but I never mentioned it to her, because I was frankly embarrassed.  I didn’t know how she would react to the name, which was obviously referring to her.  But after confessing to the sordid details she laughed at my awkward situation and said it was OK.  Now that it’s all over though I’m very pleased with the name.  It is distinctive, memorable and perhaps unique.  Reminds me of the Society Girl Mine in British Columbia or Chunky Gal Mountain here in NC.  Thanks for understanding Kayla, and I won’t do it again (unless you ask).

12)  CHIP QUARTZ MINE

This medium size mine is near the small community of Chip, situated about 8 miles south of Troy, shown to me by Mike McDuffie a few years ago, but known to him and Rob Whaley for many years.  At the time of my visit I failed to write down the road names, so I am reluctant to try to give any specific directions until I am sure of their accuracy, other than to say that the mine is on the left side of a dirt road a few hundred feet north? of a paved road.  I’ll try to get the details from Mike.   The mine is a round pit measuring approx. 100 feet across and 30 feet deep.  A driveway runs along the north ? side of the pit, and the few dumps are spilled down a gentle hillside on the opposite side of the driveway.  I know that Mike and Rob found some decent specimens here.  Acros the dirt road from the mine are some small outcrops and quartz float in the woods, many with signs of crystallization.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2014 at 10:58pm by »  

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #51 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Excellent record and history!
Thank you very much for sharing this with us, Laurie. Smiley
I look forward to checking out some of those spots in the future.

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #52 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Haha. I love your description of the Pretty Girl Mine  Grin

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Some of the best pieces from the Terry Ledford Pocket I dug Sunday at the Pretty Girl Mine.  I apologize for the poor photos and the uncleaned specimens, and the clay stained and lacerated hands (from yesterdays diggings, when Kayla found the best pieces, a fine small cluster).  The good thing is that the pocket zone continues.

rsz_1img_0737.jpg ( 107 KB | 218 Downloads )
rsz_1img_0737.jpg

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Double terminated

rsz_img_0742.jpg ( 67 KB | 180 Downloads )
rsz_img_0742.jpg

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Two intergrown crystals

rsz_img_0739.jpg ( 63 KB | 172 Downloads )
rsz_img_0739.jpg

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Cluster still needs cleaning

rsz_img_0738.jpg ( 55 KB | 202 Downloads )
rsz_img_0738.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #57 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Pyrophyllite with tessin quartz in The Adams Collection

z101.JPG ( 456 KB | 213 Downloads )
z101.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #58 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Some of the best pieces from the Terry Ledford Pocket I dug Sunday at the Pretty Girl Mine.  I apologize for the poor photos and the uncleaned specimens, and the clay stained and lacerated hands (from yesterdays diggings, when Kayla found the best pieces, a fine small cluster).  The good thing is that the pocket zone continues.

I don't know about the best piece, but it was nice!  Smiley

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #59 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Here's that cluster

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Send TopicPrint