Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Montgomery County (Read 88182 times)
FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Re: Montgomery County
Reply #75 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Thanks. I don't normally find smoky quartz, usually just clear, so I was very excited when I rinsed it off and saw it!  Cheesy

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #76 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Fire,

Really great find! Smokies aren't at all common in the Uwharries. I was told by someone years ago that the source for the smoky color in Uwharrie quartz could possibly be titanium (titanic acid)? That the unusal grey smoke color was from strong trace amounts of titanium. Don't know if that's true or not but sounds possible. Most smoky color in quartz comes from radioactivity affecting the atomic structure of the quartz which in granitic areas there are plenty of decayed radioactive materials that can cause it but the Uwharries aren't granitic so the coloring agent must be something else. There use to be a rock shop on Bragg Blvd. in Fayetteville many years ago. My father and I went over there and indeed, there was a rock shop in a little strip mall. It was a rough part of town and we were surprised to see a rock shop. Anyway, the owners were an older couple and had mostly jewelry, beads, cheaper stuff for sale but on the back wall, had a case of local material that wasn't for sale. In this case were several Shingle Trap specimens. The one that stood out was a single very nice 4" long fat smoky crystal that had numerous small anatase scattered about it. The owner said that it was dug at Shingle Trap in the 60's and was the only smoky one in the pocket. Anyway...they had this little room in the back that said "under 18 not permitted" and I was around 13 at the time. Curiousity got the better of me and I peeped in and was quickly told to move on. While we were there, people were coming in and going directly to the owners cash register (which was in a bullet proof enclosure) and slipping $100 bills under the slot and they were handing them small bags. My father and I soon realized that something was wrong here and we got the heck out. Anyway, I heard years later that the place was shut down....and I can understand why, lol! But I will never forget that Shingle Trap smoky! Back when I was able to walk to the Tower Road mine I found a few smokies there also, one of fair size that I traded to Laurie and I think Kenny has it now. Off Queen Road about mid ways there use to be a cut-over that had smokies as float in the road bed. I think that I still have a few. They look similar to your piece. The land owners however are very controling of that area but it can be accessed from public lands off Tower with a long walk. Similar smokies were found over in the reservation off 109 not far behind the Eldorado store many years ago. Gene Smith (deceased) use to have several long slender medium smokies in his collection from there. There were also a few found south of Troy near the Little River on a farm. Went there once with Archie Craven but I didn't find anything much although he had some nice ones. I've heard stories that when the landfill was built off 24/27 west of Troy that a large plate of smoky tinted quartz crystals was found but I can't verify that one personally. Anyway....really cool specimen Fire you sure know how to find crystals....keep up the good work and lots of luck!

Mike

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #77 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Cool! Very interesting.Thanks for the info  Smiley
I am in the process of cleaning the rest of the crystals from this trip and have found that several of them have this smoky color to them, most not as dark, but still exciting! I will post some pics as soon as I get them cleaned up and soaked.
I'm definitely going back for more soon!  Cheesy

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #78 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
I don't know anything about titanium  causing smoky coloration in quartz, but I do know that I have found anatase in 2 other locations besides Shingletrap in Montgomery county. It's definitely around, so who knows.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #79 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Fire,

Tower road had anatase and there was another quarry behind the Eldorado Outpost (as the crow flies) that had it. I heard that the big quarry at Eldorado had some as well. I've found rutile at three locations in Montogmery, most small xls of a pale straw to pink color. On the road from Okeeweemee (God I probally spelled that one wrong) to Troy, I came across some logging one time years ago and stop to check out some outcroppings. There were thick black bladed xls matted on the quartz. I took these and had them checked by a friend who had a powerful microscope and under magnification you could see thin red rutile under the quartz and he did a test and determined that it was psuedo-brookite after rutile. Some of the bladed groups were 2" long and one stuck strait out of the quartz. On the road out of Star that goes back to Troy (the one that goes by the old Star Gold mine), there is a huge outcropping of quartz on the right just before you get to the sharp curve that winds down to the little river bridge. Some of this quartz has ilmenite with small golden blades of rutile on it. The quartz is very vuggy and has places that look like a softer material (feldspar) I'd guess eroded away leaving vugs and grooves in the quartz. Another almost similar occurence is off Hwy 73 just east of Mt. Gilead again near Little River. So....titanium based minerals are present in small amounts all over Montgomery County and if titanium can indeed be a coloring agent then there is plenty of it in the county. The Chip road quarry had some really nice xls of ilmenite, sharp rosettes on quartz and a few pieces had micro rutiles in them. I imagine that rutile, anatase, and even brookite are more common there than is realized. When I first found out about the Tower road mine some years ago and had the priviledge of meeting Mr. Cagle in Asheboro who had worked the mine in the 60's and saw all the giant crystals that he had from Tower Road many of his had that slight smoky tint, in fact the one that I purchased from him does. But he had a few "floater" pieces of totally xlline quartz with skeletal habits that one side would be clear quartz and the other smoky and even amethyst tinted with tiny brilliant little anatase on it! They were amazing. He only had three or four like this one a plate over 12" across. I'll tell you, Montgomery County is a neat place and there are literally thousands of crystals still out there to be found in the Uwharries.

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #80 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Awesome! thanks again for sharing!

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #81 - Feb 1st, 2015 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
FireOTM - Nice finds

Rockytop-  I didn't realize titanium had anything to with smoky coloration of quartz. http://www.minsocam.org/msa/collectors_corner/arc/quartza.htm  This article talks about the coloration of smoky/amethyst and was interesting to see that the quartz from iredell county had the highest percentage titatium of any crystals tested.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #82 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Mark,

I don't know myself if titanium can cause a smoky coloration or not but was told that by a couple of very knowledgable old-timers that in the case of Montgomery County quartz that it was trace amounts of titanium under just the right condition, maybe even just a minor bit of background radiation, heat, who knows caused the odd grey smoke in quartz from there? I know that many of the smokies from the Uwharries will look different in daylight than say just sitting in a room under a light. The one I found at the Tower Road site was more like wispy streaks of brown smoky tint mixed throughout the clear crystal but some others that I've seen throughout the county were of a pale brown slightly gray color through the whole body of the crystal. If you find any evidence to support the titanium color effect in quartz, let me know if there is any truth to it. You know, some of Archie's famed amethyst crystals had smoky tints and wisp of smoky not unlike other NC amethyst localities. I've always felt like the source of those crystals was from somewhere between Tower Road and Lovejoy Road centered around the Queen Road cut-over which runs about a mile between the two roads. It was on this road that I know decent smokies were found and less than a 1/2 mile away from the intersection of Queen and Lovejoy I found amethyst. I found smoky at the Tower Mine as well and saw both amethyst and smoky quartz from there in Cagles collection. So I feel that there is a belt of throught there were conditions are right to produce coloration in quartz as I have seen it east, west and off Queen Road. But let me tell you this, that whole area is heavily posted and the locals don't play around when it comes to their land. I had a gun pulled on me off Queen road some years ago and I had permission to be there! I happened to get lost and accidentally ended up on some adjacent land that was leased by a different club and some "Fudd" dressed in camo was up in a deer stand (it wasn't deer season) and as I came around the bend, heard the "click-click" looked up and he had the darn thing pointed at me. After telling him what had happened he pointed me in the right direction and on I went. I thought the fool was gonna shot me! Believe me, that crowd up there don't play. But.....there is allot of access from Tower that is public land but its intermixed with private so its real easy to end up on private and not even know it!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #83 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I have read that the smoky color comes from a combination of irradiation and aluminum built into the crystalline structure of quartz.

Here's my source:
http://www.quartzpage.de/smoky.html

Also, while on the subject of coloration here's a great article about blue coloration in quartz.  Although this article is specifically about blue quartz from Virginia it's very interesting in that there are a variety of ways in which the blue coloration is said to be caused -- one of which is rutile!

http://www.dmme.virginia.gov/commercedocs/VAMIN_VOL27_NO02.PDF

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #84 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
One of my recent finds Cheesy

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #85 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Wow-great find...again.

The size of the crystals you're finding are simply amazing!!!

Thanks for the pics - very inspiring!

cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #86 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Wow!  Shocked Nice!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #87 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Sweet! and you didn't even mess your nails up too bad. Wink

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #88 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Yeah Joe, I halfway managed to save my nails thanks to gloves! Haha
Here are a few more pics. first three are that same crystal. I love how clear it is!

IP Logged

Brian

RockHoundLounger

Reply #89 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
That is a nice find. I have yet to find something of that size. One day soon I will and I guess that means a road trip is gonna have to be planned

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Send TopicPrint