Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig (Read 15150 times)
Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Re: Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig
Reply #60 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Mark and I hiked Sunday again looking for the Lost Quartz Mine.  We went to the creek valley we had discussed the week before as having the best potential.  We followed the old road I thought might lead to the mine.  It did not.  Took the road to the creek and then followed the creek upstream all the way to Tower Road.  No mine.  There is only one stretch of this stream that has not been covered.  If it's not there, it means that one or more of the clues we've been following are false, such as "we didn't cross the creek", etc.  It's getting VERY frustrating!

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig
Reply #61 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Laurie,

Sorry that you and Mark didn't find it. Like you, I'm extremely frustrated with it all myself. I called Rob not long after our last trip a few weeks ago to ask him since he and I went there several times. His memory too was similar to mine as to the landmarks and approx. distance. He however, knew a way to get to it from off Hwy. 109 and from West Morris Mnt. camp ground area. I've never gone in either of those ways. If nothing happens, I plan to go visit Ronald (my friend in the area) who originally walked me to the mine some years ago after James Cagle had told me the story and had shown me all the crystals. I assure you, the mine is there. There is literally no way that any logging or storms could have hidden that much quartz. In time, it will be found again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint