Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Checking out new places (Read 1397 times)
Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Checking out new places
Jun 7th, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
The boys and I decided to go on a new adventure today. I had read that there was a place within an hour of our home that might possibly hold some rocks worth collecting. We got ready, I loaded the GPS coordinates into my phone and we were off. Once we turned off of the main road and started to drive down the dirt road one thing was apparent; this place was mostly private land.

We found one area that was not so we got out and looked and hiked around.

Yes I know, I still need to buy a pick hammer

We didn’t really find much so we decided to drive further and see if we could find anything else. As we went further, it was more of the same, which is marked private property. We did come up on one area that was not marked and looked interesting so we decided to stop and look.

Below the car behind the fenced area was the entrance to an abandoned mine. There was a decent amount of vegetation as there was a small stream flowing out of the mine. There were plenty of rocks littering the exterior of the mine so the boys decided that they wanted to see if they could find anything. While they were looking, I took the time to get a few photos.

The boys did end up finding some quartz that had an interesting yellowish tinge to it. The pieces were nothing spectacular but that didn’t really matter to us. They were happy to get out and check out some place new. On our drive out, my youngest said that he had fun but this place was not as cool as Succor Creek. I let him know that this is how we find cool spots, I told him it is like fishing, sometimes that new blue line on the map ends up being something special and often it doesn’t. He understood what I had meant and said, we should look at lots of places so that we can find cool rocks.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Checking out new places
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Looks like that blue-fly was posing for you!
I sure do enjoy your fieldtrip reports, Sasha.
The change of scenery and great photography are very welcome. Smiley
Yep, that's the way to do it. You never know what you might find "exploring".
That old mine might have possibilities. It's always interesting to
trace the history of those old mines. Also helps you know what to look for.
But I think your son has a good point about Succor Creek.
Some world famous jaspers have been found on and named after that creek.
Succor Creek and the Owyhee River are home to some of thee most famous jaspers in the world.
Infact, the March 2015 issue of "Rock and Gem"magazine has a couple of
good articles about the jaspers of Oregon and that Succor Creek area.
Highly advise you look at that issue if you can find it.

It looks like it may be your younger son that has the rock-bug the worst.
When you get that rock hammer for them, go ahead and get them each a pair of safety glasses.
They don't have to be the big strap over the head fog-up things.
Just a regular pair of  safety glasses. The most important thing will be for them
to get into the habit of putting them on, and taking them off.
There's a lot that can be learned about beating on rocks but the glasses are a good idea while you're at it. Wink

IP Logged

Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Re: Checking out new places
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Tanks, glad you like the trip reports it does take a little bit of effort to process the photos and write a little something.

Anyway, yea that mine looked interesting except that there was a spring flowing out from it. No way, I would risk taking my kids in there. We went to the place based on some things I read on the net. The biggest issue that I am having now is that I am so new to this, I just don't yet know where to go exactly. Reminds me of many years ago when I started to fly fish and didn't know where to go. The net was good for the blue ribbon spots but not for the off the beaten path spots that I love oh so much. These days, I know exactly where to go for what. I suppose that as I gain more knowledge in rockhounding, I will have better results.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint