Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mineral Auctions (Read 4116 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

Mineral Auctions
Mar 20th, 2020 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I frequently keep tabs on various mineral auctions on line.

Last night a red beryl from Utah sold for $8400.  I mean, who has that kind of $$ to spend on a single specimen.  I started collecting & purchasing minerals in 1958 and I don't have that much invested in my entire collection.  Cheesy

Dennis

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Mineral Auctions
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Rich people who enjoy flexing to other rich people.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 10:05am
Print Post  
I might get oh... $0.84 for most of mine.. maybe $1.00.  Undecided

IP Logged

CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I've only gone to Carry On auctions put on by the gem clubs. What I've seen is people buying anything they can at ridiculous  prices then puting it all on line a even higher prices.  The local minerAl club has several a year ,I won't go  because of this.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
This is something I have dealt with for many years.  As a small time mineral dealer I have tried very hard to not charge prices based on current trends or "market value".  Pricing of minerals is a very subjective determination.  Mineral specimens are unique, and undervalued as works of art.  That being said, there is a market of exploitation that is not commensurate with the true value of the specimens.  I feel Dennis.  You would do well if you follow the example Dennis has set, where he has assembled a    fantastic collection of North Carolina minerals, with a very limited budget.  He is a tenacious historian who appreciates the vast diversity of our state heritage and we are privileged to have him in our company .  The last thing I would want to do is use this great site for my own advantage, but I have a rockshop full of very reasonable priced minerals.  Just sayin'.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Thanks, Laurie for the kind words.  Growing up in western NC gave me the opportunity to pursue my interests in Nature.  My 4th grade teacher was an avid rockhound and she planted the bug in me at a young age. We moved to Spruce Pine and I became acquainted with some of the giants in NC minerals at the time and learned from them.....Linten Greene, Lee McKinney, Floyd Wilson, and Ted Ledford, Sr. They freely shared their knowledge about minerals, mines, identification techniques, etc.

After a 20 year hiatus from collecting minerals  we moved back to NC and my interest was sparked again.  Meeting you and other collectors and dealers at shows helped tremendously, as you shared your knowledge with me.  I am grateful for all that you and others have done to make my collection what it is today.

Dennis

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 8:47am
Print Post  
In case you're interested in seeing some of Dennis' collection, check out this video:

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint