Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Asheville, NC (Read 220 times)
SouthernMaple
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Asheville, NC
Aug 2nd, 2023 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Any thoughts on what’s inside this pavement stuff??

IMG_0192.png ( 11292 KB | 12 Downloads )
IMG_0192.png

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Asheville, NC
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2023 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Now, whoa up there SouthernMaple.  Before we get all the way out to the main road, I'd like to go back up the driveway where the blue rocks are!
Did you ever decide if it was a piece of Sodalite like Scott mentioned?
Did you look up Sodalite? Is it found naturally in North Carolina?
Here's a WikiLink to Sodalite,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodalite

On the right side of the page is a long box with all sorts of identifying characteristics of Sodalite. Down toward the bottom of that box it talks about Fluorescence.
Yes, there's homework.
Also read about "Iron Stained Quartz" for starters.
If you really want to know what that is in the asphalt you could contact an asphalt company and ask them what they put in there?

IP Logged

SouthernMaple
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2023 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,
I brought the blue rock to a rock shop in Asheville to inquire, and the owner confirmed it to be sodalite.  I'm still a little hesitant to believe it, because of where it was found and also, I've read that it's not common in the area.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to an identification page!!  That rocks!
Also, the asphalt comment has me laughing pretty great Smiley Thank you!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2023 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Well Good! Smiley
I'm glad to hear you are still a little hesitant about the Sodalite. I'm still curious about it, too.
If it's sodalite then there should be atleast a few fluorescent orange spots on it under UV light? If you don't see any then it probably isn't Sodalite.
I've never heard of Sodalite being native to NC, but wonder if there could be some in some of the gravel quarries up there in the mountains?
If it's not Sodalite then my only guess is that it is a piece of quartz that has been turned blue by another mineral, and or heat and pressure.  Quartz is colored by many different minerals. Blue, green, copper, and red, etc. Reds and browns are usually Hematite and Iron Oxides. I can't see your piece in the asphalt well enough to really say anything about it but first guess would be red stained quartz.

I was going to make you guess what this is but now I've gone and given it away, so here's a piece of local Red Hematite Included Quartz I cut to see how it looked inside.  Some people are calling this Hematoid Quartz now, I think.

Have a Good Weekend. Are you going to the Grassy Creek Gem Show in Spruce Pine? You'd love it!

DSCN7375.JPG ( 92 KB | 3 Downloads )
DSCN7375.JPG
DSCN7369.JPG ( 112 KB | 3 Downloads )
DSCN7369.JPG

IP Logged

SouthernMaple
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2023 at 7:48am
Print Post  
I would love to go to the show in Spruce Pine but can't make it, unfortunately.  So instead, I'll just look down everywhere I go this weekend in hopes of spotting something pretty neat to keep lol.
I didn't think Sodalite was native to NC.  In fact, isn't it a pretty rare find?  And guess what?  It fluoresces under black light!  Little orange polka dots. 
Isn't Hematite common around these mountains?  (Blue Ridge.). I've often thought that I have found quartz, but with different minerals inside.  I've found a couple pieces that look like cooked steak, and I believe them to be strawberry quartz?  Not positive.  I'll send a photo if that's okay. Once I find out what I did with them :p
Thank you for your pic!!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2023 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Well the little orange polka dots pretty much answer the first question. It is Sodalite. Thank you very much. Now we still have to wonder about how it got there?
And we're on the wrong thread anyway. Grin
Yes, Hematite and Iron Oxides are everywhere.
Yes, lot's of minerals will either be included in quartz or stain the quartz. One last step in identifying your quartz mineral specimens is cleaning them. To get a good look at what is really there all the dirt and oxide coloring has to be removed by soaking in Oxalic acid or Iron Out. Those stains are chemically removed. Think about all the beautiful quartz crystal clusters you see for sale on the internet. They have all been cleaned in an acid bath.  So your steak may not be so well done when you're done cleaning it. Might have to throw it back on the grill for a minute or two.  Wink
Yes, I don't see anything wrong with calling that red Hematite included quartz "Strawberry Quartz", but there are some strawberry quartz purist out there that say it has to be from one or two particular localities in order to qualify as 'true' Stawberry. I don't know all the details.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint