Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Randolph County (Read 44839 times)
FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Re: Randolph County
Reply #60 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Very nice!  Smiley

IP Logged

LeadMagnet244
YaBB Newbies

Reply #61 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Nice!  And only an hour up the road.... Shocked

Sometimes you just gotta dig a hole to see what's in it.

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #62 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Had an amazing time on Sunday at Silver Ridge with Laurie Adams.  Still vibing pretty hard from all of the Pyrophyllite we found.  Here is a piece of the "Rainbow Boulder"  that contained many different colors and sizes of Pyrophyllite  Cheesy

PyrSRRZ.jpg ( 210 KB | 182 Downloads )
PyrSRRZ.jpg

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #63 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
fan-flippin-tastic piece! Thanks for sharing.
I've always been against pyrophyllite, for some unknown reason. That piece might change my mind.

-Dave

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #64 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave!  Like Laurie told me, it's highly underrated and under appreciated.  I absolutely love it, it looks like something from outerspace!  Yesterday I just sat in aw looking at them, too much detail to just glance at  Cool

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #65 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Wow-that is a nice looking rock.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like it around here - must be real dry where you found it - I don't think it gets along with water at all...  Great find!

cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Just curious as to why you think pyrophyllite doesn't get along well with water.  It's certainly not water soluble or porous.  None of the NC localities are dry, just typical Carolina Piedmont terrain.  But like most of the softer minerals, it will absorb a certain amount of water.  Collin is excited because this is probably among the top three localities in the world for crystallized pyrophyllite!  We are lucky to live in such a great mineral state.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #67 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Hi,

I too must of been mesmerized cause I wasn't very clear, I was referring to creek water as it looks so delicate and fragile, it wouldn't last long in the rough and tumble of going down a creek.  So I don't expect to find one in my limited search territory of creek beds in Raleigh.

It is a beautiful specimen.

Cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
While these specimens are relatively soft on the Moh's scale, and of course would be rounded and relatively unattractive if rolled around in a creek for years, these specimens are not really that delicate.  In fact they can be VERY hard.  Just try sledging and chiseling out some of these and you'll realize how hard they are.  Some are in quartz matrix, so are seriously hard.  I have been mining pyrophyllite for many years and there is a huge learning curve on how to properly dig and trim the specimens.  It is very important to know how the material breaks and how to bring out these killer pieces.  It isn't easy, and a novice would just totally ruin them.  The key is to have a fresh break through the crystal layer, eliminating all weathered areas and external surfaces, leaving the pure crystalline mass.  It's hard to explain, you really have to be shown in the field.  Once a fresh crystalline surface is revealed, it is very important to wrap the hell out of it so it will not be dinged or bruised.  If properly cared for, they should last forever.  If you don't like pyrophyllite, you just haven't seen the good stuff!  The sites of high temperature aluminum hydrothermal deposits in NC are limited mainly to the slate belt rocks, you wouldn't expect to find pyrophyllite in the Raleigh belt rocks.  Closest to Raleigh would be the Bowlings Mountain Mine in Granville County.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #69 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Agreed Indeed, dave. Laurie turned the pyrophyllite light on for me a while back. Smiley
Thanks for all the great info, Laurie.
Question; Has there ever been any Topaz found at the Hillsborough quarry that you know of?

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Joe, i have heard anecdotaly of micro crystalline topaz from there, but have never seen any.  Massive topaz is not uncommon at several of the pyrophyllite localities, but it's not of gem or facet or even lapidary quality, it just looks like slightly translucent milky quartz.  The Hillsborough quarry is the only site I have even heard of crystalline topaz in NC.  Would love to see a topaz crystal from Nc to add it to our great mineral heritage.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #71 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Some years ago, I went in with one of the last groups to collect at the Brewer Gold Mine in SC before it shut down. There was small amounts of radial pyrophyllite around the upper levels of that quarry, nothing special but me and most everyone found a few pieces that day. We found massive topaz that day like Laurie said it resembled quartz in texture but the materail there was of a moss green color. You wouldn't even realize that it was topaz if not for the luster and hardness. It wasn't gemmy but might take a polish for a cabochon or polished slab though I never tried to. I think that I have one piece left, not sure. Old references to the  Brewer Mine state that many years ago that a pocket was found that contained beautiful gemmy small multi-colored xls of topaz in an unusual fluorine rich deposit. I've never seen any crystals but there was large chunks of massive mossy green topaz there. I imagine that more of the pyrophyllite deposits throughout the Carolinas have topaz in them but it isn't recognized as such and is often overlooked when it occurs in massive dull specimens as seems to be typical.

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #72 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Since mike spread the topic to SC i will throw the elk mills site  in tennessee just west of the state line.  I have never been but i know appalachian state does a trip out there. 

"Just west across the NC-TN state line, the Elk River passes beneath Highway 321 at Poga. This area is also known as Elk Mills. Along the river’s edge is an easily accessible site to collect topaz. Specimens are commonly 2+cm in diameter, though few are of gemstone quality.  You can find peach, white, and silver topaz varieties.

Park at the dirt turnout beside the gas station at the Elk River bridge. Cross 321 to reach the river bed for collecting."

Source:http://geology.appstate.edu/academics/field-trips/elk-mills-topaz-site

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #73 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
It still surprises me this deposit is there, i think i may have read on another site that perhaps the gravel there was dump or fill from somewhere else? that could be wrong, but i vaguely remember.

For anyone that is interested in going for this topaz, and are up to it, there's an incredible waterfall that is jumpable, its called Poga Falls, it would be upstream of where the topaz is.

http://themonkeysmask.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/5/9/13593176/2300606_orig.jpg

The material in the Elk River here is very interesting, think Cranberry Iron mine, there's A LOT of heavy metallic sands in the river, irons, hematite, magnetites, along with a lot of massive epidote.

-Dave

IP Logged

FireOnTheMountain

RockHoundLounger

Reply #74 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Walked some fields  after work today looking for arrowheads. I didn't find any arrowheads today but I did manage to find a bunch of crystals in one of the fields....cool colors too!  best part is this spot is only 5 mins from where I live!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:41am by Scott LaBorde »  

20150422_181715.jpg ( 129 KB | 185 Downloads )
20150422_181715.jpg
20150422_182110.jpg ( 130 KB | 197 Downloads )
20150422_182110.jpg
20150422_182519.jpg ( 149 KB | 197 Downloads )
20150422_182519.jpg
20150422_183049.jpg ( 151 KB | 209 Downloads )
20150422_183049.jpg
20150422_183237.jpg ( 176 KB | 185 Downloads )
20150422_183237.jpg
20150422_183422.jpg ( 174 KB | 205 Downloads )
20150422_183422.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint